The oldies are back! It’s a vintage drama that could bring back a flood of memories among viewers. Reply 1997 is a drama that aims to take 1st generation idol fans back to the times of H.O.T. and Sechs Kies, took set in Busan of the 1990s. Those who weren’t hardcore H.O.T. fans back in the day may have a hard time understanding some of the scene, so the producers are putting in the extra effort to help others understand this culture.
This drama is really reflection of a fangirl whether it’s in the past or the present, fangirl is fangirl. As a fangirl I can relate everything in Reply 1997 with myself, tho my era was started on 2nd generation idol (DBSK, Super Junior, SS501), in 1997 I was still in elementary school and was into Backstreet Boys and Boyzone that time. In Reply 1997, the female lead SiWon’s (Jung Eunji) nick is ‘the one and only Ahn Seung’s (H.O.T Tony’s real name) Wife’,lol.. guess what’s my nick back in 2007? Kyubuin (Super Junior Kyuhyun’s wife),haaaa xD
Like Siwon’s bedroom, my bedroom wall was filled with idol posters too, my magazines is thicker than my journal books, pretending to study till late of night while the truth is I was watching some varshow,kkkk.. If Siwon is the staff for H.O.T fanbase in Busan, then I was a staff (blogger,translator) in one of an international fanbase,hahah.. I feel amused whenever I remember to those days,hahah xD
Things has been easier these days, like you can purchase concert tix online wherever you are, back then they used to queueing at a bank all night long, this drama showed you how much fangirl’s effort in 90’s, also don’t forget about the fanwar!! ‘My idol is the most talented, my idol has to be no.1, my idol has the biggest fandom,etc‘..haha.. it’s a fanculture that you can’t avoid. Thank God it’s also has been harmless, since nowadays fanwar mostly only exist in social networking, forum, fancafe, etc.lol xD
What I love from Reply 1997 :
– The unstoppable fangirl story that can leave a big smile on your face,
– The everlasting friendship story that will make you miss your long-time-best-friend,
– The unrequited love story is another heart wrenching painful story that I love the most from this drama, I ship Siwon-Yoonjae!!
– The cameo!!Reply 1997 really outdid itself and invited many celebrity guests to make special appearances in the drama starting from Tony Ahn, A Pink’s Cho Rong and Bo Mi, ZE;A Siwan, Noel’s Kang Gyun Sung, comedians Jung Joori, Shin Bongsun, Kim Jongmin, Shin Dong yup, Ahn Young Mi, Kang Yu Mi, Yoon Hyung Bin, Yang Se Hyung, announcer Park Ji Yoon, Jewelry’s Kim Ye Won and many others.
– Lastly, the gadget!!hahah.. It’s such a strange feeling to see my old clamshell phone, tamagochi and walkman again.
For those who sick of watching Idol-turn-to-actor-drama, I encourage you to watch this drama, aside from the reason I mentioned above, I bet you gonna doubt if it’s Eunji’s first time acting. The casts are amazingly fit to their role, great directing, awesome cast, nice plot = 2012 Best Drama. =)
You can start to watch the drama from ep. 0, yes they have ep. 0!! Ep. 0 is an intro to the drama, casts intro, synopsis and Behind The Scene.
Reply 1997 ep 0 : Synopsis & Behind The Scene.
120808 tvN E News – Reply 1997 Filming
The drama has been scoring the highest ratings in its time slot among cable channels, with ratings at an average of 3 percent. So what are you waiting for?still doubting bout the drama?naaah.. I won’t make friend with you then,lol
This has been the drama-addict omonOona, annyeong~ ^^